Accepted to the NERA conference in Odense, Denmark

Today, I was happy to receive a notice of acceptance to the NERA conference in Odense in early November. The title of my presentation is "Discourse Analysis in the Teaching of English" and I will be drawing on a discourse historical approach when teaching the U.S. Declaration of Independence. In a Swedish classroom, as my abstract reads, it "may seem overly ambitious, but it has proven both useful and engaging for the students. The discourse historical approach deals with the manner in which evidence is gathered, selected, analysed, critically evaluated, and applied, but it also highlights the rhetorical features in a text such as the Declaration of Independence. This type of analysis primarily problematises ideology, power, and criticism, and the material is categorised in terms of nomination, predication, argumentation, perspectivisation, as well as intensification or mitigation. The aim of this presentation is to use concrete examples from my teaching to show how this might play out in the teaching of English on various levels in the school system."

My presentation builds on my chapter in the soon to be released Diskursanalys med utbildningsvetenskapliga perspektiv. This volume, edited by my colleagues Angerd Eilard and Christoffer Dahl, attempts to provide an entry into discourse analysis for Swedish pre-teachers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Webinar: Platform work Global North & South

Harvard Business Review: How to Practice Responsible AI

European Workshop on Distance Learning